January 13, 2011

Tacky Party


New Year’s Eve was approaching…

We had just recently moved into our little home...

And there were still several boxes to unpack…

PERFECT setting for a tacky party!!!

The invitations got the ball rolling; I was determined to keep this a low budget event… so I put on my rummage, resourceful hat, and went digging through Grandfather’s Garage!

Here’s what I came up with:

We had an old page-a-day calendar with quotes from The Office printed on one side… So I printed the invitation on the blank side.


I folded the little page up and slipped it into a funky old matchbook that Grandfather had collected from “back in the day”.


Then I slipped the matchbook into an old yellow envelope, addressed the front with tacky nicknames, and sealed the back with our OLD return address label (crossing out the address and scribbling on our new one). I added a Christmas Sticker, stamp, and popped them in the mail!

I spent all day on New Year’s Eve prepping. Didn’t try to over-exert myself though… it’s a tacky party right!? Who cares if there’s bags of trash sitting around and dishes to be done!


So as you approached our front door (in your tacky attire), you’d notice that there was a hand-written sign in our front-door-window stating that “we proudly serve”... Shasta Cola, boxed wine, Dino’s chicken nuggets, etc – all displayed by ripped up box labels.


Inside our entry, the floor was lined with plastic, secured with orange tape! Greeting you were two Halloween cheerleader statues and some leftover Christmas decorations a well!

I framed our tv with a broken wooden-orange-frame and stacked some power tools, tape, and a fire extinguisher for some added class. Our open wall also displayed a tacky home-made “happy new year” sign.


I brought in some of my Grandfather’s silly old décor like:

A bamboo beaded doorway curtain with a hula girl image…

A Hawaiian themed American Flag…

A poster of me at my 1st birthday with cake all over…


Here’s some more of the tackiness:

Stepping stools substituted side tables…

Silly toys and costumes served as centerpieces…

Snacks were served out of odd kitchen supplies like pots, pans, measuring cups, paper boxes, strainers, etc!!


Iced drinks were stored in a paper box lined with a trash bag…


We served wine out of little Dixie cups that dissolved before you could finish the last drop…

Other drinks were served in colorful plastic cups from our childhood…


Although much of the party was “tasteless” we managed to serve some delectable tacky food:

Dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets

Bean Dip & Chips

Cheese Fondue Fountain with Apples

Chocolate Pudding with Graham Cracker Crumbs & Worms!

Candy – Chips – Etc!


This may become a tradition… any ideas for the next Tacky Party?

2 comments:

  1. haha wow! Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I throughly enjoyed the tacky event! You really achieved the tacky ambiance!

    ReplyDelete